March 3, 2015
Greetings to Emerson East, Eken Park and Yahara Area Neighborhoods,
The City of Madison Planning Division has been working since January 2014 with the Mayoral appointed, Emerson East-Eken Park-Yahara Neighborhood Plan Steering Committee to update the Emerson East-Eken Park Neighborhood Plan (adopted in 1998). The Steering Committee is in the process of reviewing draft transportation, community health and wellness, and land use and urban design recommendations for nine focus areas. The City’s webpage includes an overview of the planning process, plan drafts, public input, and meeting minutes with attachments, including conceptual ideas for redevelopment of several focus areas that the Committee, property owners, City staff, and a design consultant have been working on: http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/eeep.html To access plan drafts, click on the Plan Development agenda number, #32851.
The Steering Committee and City staff will complete the Draft Plan and share it for review and comment at a Public Open House, sometime later in Spring. Also at this time, the Draft Plan will be circulated widely through libraries, listservs, the City webpage, and other public accessible avenues. Comments will be reviewed and a Final Draft Plan will be prepared.
The Final Draft Plan will be widely circulated for public review, followed with City Committee, Commission and Board review, and adoption as a supplement to the City’s Comprehensive Plan. Plan implementation will take place over 10 to 15 years.
Upcoming Steering Committee Meetings (all open to the public), Public Input and Plan Review and Adoption:
· March 11th Steering Committee Meeting, 6:30-8:00 p.m., Bashford United Methodist Church, 329 North St.
· March 25th Steering Committee Meeting, 6:30-8:00 p.m., Bashford United Methodist Church, 329 North St.
· April 8th Steering Committee Meeting, 6:30-8:00 p.m., Bashford United Methodist Church, 329 North St.
· April 22nd Steering Committee Meeting, 6:30-8:00 p.m., Bashford United Methodist Church, 329 North St.
· Late Spring Public Open House (date and place to be determined by Committee at a future SC meeting)
· City Committee, Commission and Board review and adoption of Final Draft Plan, likely in Summer, or early Fall
· Plan Implementation over 10 to 15 years
If you are interested, please attend a Steering Committee meeting or two, and watch for an announcement about the upcoming Public Open House. If you have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Linda Horvath Urban Planner, AICP
Neighborhood Planning, Preservation & Design Section
P.O. Box 2985 Madison Municipal Building
215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Room 100
Madison, Wisconsin 53701-2985